Update and Questions

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Update and Questions
From: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@icx.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 22:53:05 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Came home today and the car wouldn't start.  Not getting
fuel.  Swapped fuel pumps and primed it by sucking on one
end of the hose.  Got it started and it ran for a little.
Spat and gagged a lot (me, not the car).

But before I started it, I took the thermostat housing off
to remove the thermostat and found there was no water.
Added water, didn't replace thermostat but put the housing
back on.  Once engine started it ran much cooler than
yesterday (temperature gauge doesn't work, just going by
touch).

Now, here are the list of odd things:

1)  White stinky smoke now billows out of the exhaust.
Hoping it's because of bad gas, which also stinks.  It isn't
accompanied by oil or water.  But it puts out a nice cloud
in my yard.
2)  The car will not start unless I pour some gas directly
into the carb first (DGV)
3)  Car won't idle below 2,000RPM
4)  Car stalls after running for anywhere from 5-15 minutes,
whether I'm giving it gas or not, but not always.  Must
prime it to get it to restart.
5)  Rapid "thumpthumpthump" sound constant with engine
running.  Engine mount?  Especially apparent when starting.
6)  Engine is now seeming to stay very cool (except that
header I rubbed my hand against)

Notes:  Alison Electronic ignition, 1500 engine, header,
Weber DGV, not started in 7 years, more 7-year old gas in
the tank than I thought at first (diluted with new gas).

Any ideas?  Thanks!

adrian,
pondering taking it to a mechanic for an "expert opinion"
(as in, "not mine")

--

J. Adrian Barnes

http://www.midgetweb.com