downed spridget update 2

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: downed spridget update 2
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 22:25:08 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Still no joy.

Here's what I've done so far; I'm in the middle of diagnostics, but I
thought I'd send this out to catch a few of you before you head off to bed.

First, I got the car towed home for free (!) I'll detail this tomorrow and
give a big plug to Drees Towing in Atlanta.

Second, I connected the (+) battery to the (+) of coil with a jumper lead.
Car did not start using key or remote starter. I tried a second coil, still
no start.

Other diagnostics using a voltmeter:

With the points open, key switch to "on":

Spring arm of contact breaker points connected to (+) of meter, engine
block connected to (-) of meter, gave +12.8 V

(+) of coil to (+) of meter, engine block connected to (-) of meter, gave
+12.8 V

(-) of coil to (+) of meter, engine block connected to (-) of meter, gave
+12.8 V (thought this should be negative reading; I guess not.)

I'll keep you up on the diagnostics as the night wears on.

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision
http://www.molvis.org/molvis
"Seeing the Future in a Very Tiny Way"