Re: 1275 Midget roars to life... Help!

To: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1275 Midget roars to life... Help!
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 11:38:22 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Charles,

I don't have a specific answer to your specific problem. However, the SU
carbs are easy to work on. Really. What is absolutely required is either
the Haynes or BL manual (not even the carb manual, just the regular
spridget manual that includes a section on the carbs) or one of the carb
tuning tutorials online <http://www.vtr.org/maintain/carbs.html> or the
Motorhead video. I'd also invest in a carb synchronizer, but you can get
away with a little piece of plastic hose for listening to the carbs to
balance them instead. I don't think you need a colortune. Follow the manual
or other guide to service your carbs. It's not hard; I've done it. The most
challenging aspect is learning the names of the parts. It takes about 45
minutes the first time. It is way easier than a Holley or other American
carb.

Good luck,

Jeff

At 10:35 AM -0400 7/23/99, Charles D. Sorkin wrote:
> Dear List:

> Now here's the perplexing part.  I have never actually owned or tinkered
> with a non-fuel injected car before.  Let alone a twin carb setup (SUs).
> I'm lucky to know my dashpot from my dashboard.  Or a rotor from a
> regulator. ...

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision
http://www.molvis.org/molvis