Re: disk brakes

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: disk brakes
From: Philip Hubbard <hubbard@idir.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 10:40:28 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
At 11:17 AM 7/24/99 GMT, you wrote:

>Good afternoon!
>
>Just a quick question if anyone is on today -
>In doing some brake work I notice that when I free spin the front wheels
(with t
>he disk brakes), there is even and constant pad on rotor friction on both
wheels, not enough to keep me from spinning them but enough to stop them
from spinning after a couple of rotations. Is this normal or should they
spin completely free?

>Craig
>74 Midget

Hello Craig,

As it so happens I also have a '74 and did some work on the brakes.  (I
know the year doesn't really matter.)  The list told me that there is some
very slight contact between rotor and brake pad normally.  I got this
information when I mentioned that my rotors were very hot after driving.

Have you just put on new brake pads?  If so, I'd give it a few hundred
miles to break in to see how much rubbing you have afterwards.  My brakes
sorted themselves out nicely after a bit of gentle driving.

If this is all nonsense, I'm sure some kind guru will straighten you out.  :)

Philip
1974 Damask Red Midget - Arioch, Lord of Chaos
1973 Damask Red Midget - project car