Re: Rear Spring Mounts (missing nut and bolt troubles)

To: kpdii@mindspring.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear Spring Mounts (missing nut and bolt troubles)
From: JustBrits@aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 19:57:53 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 7/24/99 6:26:06 PM Central Daylight Time,
kpdii@mindspring.com writes:

Patton:

   Normally, I would have skipped over this one but it would seem some
education is required here.  And I apologize to the List for coping most of
your missive. (<G>)

<< The right front spring mount (receiver,  box, or whatever the correct name
 of it is) has troubles.  This is the part that hold the bolt that goes
 through the front eye of the spring on my '67. >>

Should be replaced (and if one is bad..............)

 <<The one that came off of the car has been attacked on both sides of the eye
 mounting area with a chisel,>>

So what's new??

<< only partially on one side, and nearly through
 on the other.  I don't want to risk anything with suspension, so I turned to
 use a spare I got with used spring.  The problem with this one is that the
 two seized nuts that appear to be brazed or welded onto my original, are
 missing on this new mount.  This is the front nut set where the bolt drops
 down from the passenger compartment as opposed to the rear set which the
 bolt goes up from underneath the car.>>

Blue wrench??

 Well I ran to the local parts house, bolt in hand, and I was going to use a
 replacement nut and seize it with locktight. >>

Where is the lock washer??

<< When I took the bolt there, it seems that the threads are not SAE, >>

Prob'ly a case of DPO who thought it's Brit so has to be metric.

<<so they didn't have a nut to fit it in>>

You prob'ly didn't check the mm boxes. (<G>)

<< Grade 8. >>

To the best of my limited knowledge there weren't ant 8s originally.  Grade 5.
(why waste the money??  Beside new 5s are a heck of a lot better that 37 year
old ones.

<<It was not 3/8 inch fine thread which is what it appeared to be.
 Just for giggles, I tried to se if they had any grade that fit it, and none
 did.  Well, when I got home, I noticed something else, on the other side of
 the car (the side I've not worked on yet) one of the bolts that goes from
 under the car and into the seized nut in the body was missing on that side.>>

Still just another DPO.  Couldn't find the one "that rolled away, ain't gonna
look. gotta get the da*n car back on the street, ..........)

<< Does anyone know a source for these nuts and bolts.  >>

Yep, but MJB might be reading<G>!!!

<<The nut's outer sized appears to be in between 11/16 and 3/4 >>

Or could also be the DPO "DID" use Whitworth.

<<(is there an 23/32?) >>

Not that I have ever heard of but then again I have a machinest actually
making some parts for a TD Mk. II that have internal "Whitworth" threads and
I guarantee a] they will be correct; b] it will drive some one NUTS 30 years
from now <VBG>

<>

NOPE.  The shoulder of the bolt is important.

<< Conversely, I guess I could try and break the weld of the nuts on my bad
 mount and use them? >>

Sure, de-temper them. <F>

<< What do you guys think? >>

IF this hasn't been
enough.........................................................?

<< Is there anything wrong about
 either going with a different nut and bolt set for the missing nuts side, or
 do I really need to replace the whole mount? >>

You really need to ask if you've read this far??? <G>

<< If so, any sources out there,
 I don't see it in the catalogs.>>

You just don't have all of them.

 <>

Wrong person, wrong place.

<<and I don't want to buy it from
 Vicky Brit because of their shipping charges for small orders. >>

Order a BIG ticket invoice and take a guess!?!?!?  I'm a Dealer and it don't
help.

<< Any ideas what I'm looking for and where I can get it?.  Have I found
something
 Whitworth on my car, that would seem odd on a car this late? >>

See above.

         Just Ed