Re: Water Temp Gauge Broke

To: gottstein@erols.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Water Temp Gauge Broke
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 13:00:52 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 8/4/99 11:33:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
gottstein@erols.com writes:

<<   This weekend on a super-hot day, my water temperature gauge started
moving
 toward Cold rather than Hot as time went on.  Then it stopped working all
 together.  I found that the wire (the one with the coil around it) had
 snapped right where it meets the radiator at this connection that come to a
 point that the wire sticks into.   Do I need to replace the whole apparatus,
 or do I just need to stick the wire back in?  I couldn't get the nut off the
 radiator with moderate pressure, so I figured I wouldn't play with it in
 care coolant went shooting everywhere. >>

OOPS!  That sounds like a capillary tube rather than a wire.  The stuff
inside has now leaked out.  You have to replace the whole thing, or send it
out to have it rebuilt.

Does anybody know what model years of Midgets used the water temp gauge with
the capillary tube?  I know my '77 has it, and it's the dual gauge with the
oil temp on top.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport