Re: finding out more

To: Bkitterer@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: finding out more
From: RBHouston@aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 10:43:06 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 8/5/99 5:13:04 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Bkitterer@aol.com
writes:

<<  My Midget was built in 1968 and sold in 1969 (vin dates it at
 68 - registration dates it at 69) >>

 Robert,

 Do not know if there is a "right" answer in most cases.  In the late 50's
and
 early 60's it was about four months from time of manufacture to time of
 delivery in the western USA.  In the case of our 1966 Sprite it is
registered
 as a 1967. But it is a 1098 and  1966 was the last year for 1098's.  So we
 call it a 1966.  On the other hand our Bugeye was built in Nov. 1959 and
 delivered/sold in Feb. 1960 so we call it a 1960. >>

Gotta go with "model year"  I think.  It would just get too confusing
otherwise.  SOP for US manufacturers now ( and others too maybe?) is to cease
production for a week or too around July 1, and begin production of the next
model year.

Then you get the ones introduced 3-4 months later as the "next" (year after
that) model.  A good forinstance was the 97 Ford pu, available in late 95
wasn't it?

Some of the US manufacturers have already announced 2001 models, and they
must be planning to produce these soon...gotta get the money flowing!

Just my observances and opinion..YMMV.

Robert Houston