Re: Timing the 1275 ? (vac. advance with a sidedraft)

To: davidr@sunset.net
Subject: Re: Timing the 1275 ? (vac. advance with a sidedraft)
From: Bryan Vandiver <Bryan.Vandiver@Eng.Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 11:44:22 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
David,

My engine is freshly rebuilt, with all new bearings, pistons(std. size),
'take-off'head from minimania( non-smog 12g940casting), etc. etc..
Currently I'm at (1), and it does 'leak oil like crazy'. So it sounds like I
can
try (2), and hopefully that should work fine. My engine is still being broken
in
(less than 30 miles) so I don't think the rings, and valves are fully seated
yet. In any case, can I put the pvc valve off the vent in the 1275 timing chain
cover, or do I need to run a breather pipe off my valve cover?? I am using an
aluminum valve cover, and I would need to drill a hole if I wanted to add the
PVC breather there.
FYI - I noticed that the chrome oil filler cap has a small hole in the middle
of
it, that does act as a vent for the valve cover area.
David Vizards book covers a setup call the 'vacusump' system, but it requires
having a tube welded into the exhaust system, with a gulp valve. Using the
exhaust to pull a vacuume on the crankcase. In addition it also uses a PVC
valve
arrangement  simular to what you describe.

Regards - Bryan