Hot battery

To: wmgilroy@lucent.com, "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hot battery
From: derfman <derfman@eatel.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 00:06:18 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi,
I saw your post on the Spridget list.  IMHO  a hot terminal would
indicate a bad connection or bad battery.  Remove and clean the
connectors and posts.  A good battery post cleaner is a sound
investment.  In a nut shell, bad connections cause current to travel
through smaller pathways.  The reason the wires on the battery are so
big is that they must carry large currents at times, mostly at startup.
Forcing large currents through small pathways will cause heat.  You can
draw similarities between water and electricity.(I'm generalising here,
you electrical engineers stop reading now or take a grain of salt).
Voltage in a wire is like pressure in a hose.  Current in a wire is like
volume of water in a hose.   If you need more current (volume) you need
to use bigger wire (larger hose).  If you need more voltage (pressure)
you need better insulation (thicker hose wall).  Anyway, (boy am I
digressing)  your LBC (ha, there's your LBC content)  uses around 12
volts.  Back to the point.  It takes a lot of current to turn the
starter.  Bad connections resist current flow and that resistance turns
electricity into heat.  If your connections are A+ then the problem is
in the battery.  My two cents.

Cheers,
Derf

73 Midget (project)
94 Racing Greyhound (retired)  who would love to race your sharpei.