Re: synthetic oil vs. ex dinosaurs

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: synthetic oil vs. ex dinosaurs
From: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 20:15:30 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
My final .02 -
Not to question the experiences of others, my
experience: I nursed along a bad transaxle in my Lotus
for 2 years with synthetic, no problems.  Changed the
Bimmer to synth oil and trans/rear lube at 20,000
miles (90K more since), no problems.  As far as
swelling goes, synthetic is a form of PAO
(polyalphaolefin).  For a govt funded study a few
years ago, I did testing of PAO coolant vs. a silicone
based ester (coolanol) and found the *PAO* (read
synthetic) made o-rings swell if they were made of
Nitrile, with no difference otherwise. This was in 60
day immersion testing where the materials were
submerged in the PAO and coolanol, then the materials
were mic'd and weighed, and the fluids were tested for
impurities, etc..  In my personal and professional
experience there is no hard rule as to how something
will behave with synthetic, but for the most part my
results have been positive.  I also think my 948
problems were 948 problems, not synthetic problems.
In addition to the lubricity of synths, their heat
transfer capabilities are better as well.

Can we get back to  nude breakfasts and Springsteen
concerts now?