Re: Windshield to body weather stripping (bugeye)

To: "ldsp" <ldsp@flash.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Windshield to body weather stripping (bugeye)
From: "Robert J Carlson" <rjcarlson@webzone.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 14:49:17 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Thanks for the replies - here's an update:

Decided to cut a small shaving off the leading edge (part of "T" facing
bonnet) and then 'slide' the weather stripping into the channel. I did this
after a complete cleaning of all the crap in the channel - including
dissolving unidentified particles with acetone. The shaved portion was
probably no more than 1cm, so it was still a job to 'slide' it into place. I
did NOT, however decide to use any sealer - the fit seemed plenty tight.

It took two people and considerable blood, sweat and tears - but it's now in
place.

I have to wonder about the manufacture of this piece. It would seem to me
that this rubber piece would be made through a mold - although it has been
mentioned that it may be some extrusion process. Anyone know? Just wondering
since it appears that some folks have had perfect fits and others, myself
included, have gotten pieces that simply could not be forced into place
without a chemical reaction.