Re: Overwhelmed by Mechanic (Long)

To: Tomsjetta@aol.com
Subject: Re: Overwhelmed by Mechanic (Long)
From: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@workgroup.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 08:27:14 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Don't feel too bad about your lack of mechanical skills.  When I got my first
Midget (at 16) I couldn't even change oil.  Last night (10 years and 3-4 Midgets
later), I went out in my driveway and started, without giving it a second
thought, tearing down the engine to do a swap.  I still am not totally sure what
I'm doing, but these little beasts give you confidence because of their
mechanical simplicity.  Just put all the bolts in little baggies and label them.
:-)  I also take lots of "before" pictures.

Wiper motors are not specific to any particular year of car (one from at least
75-79 would fit, if not others) .  They should be easily available used, which
would save you some money.  They are also relatively easy to replace (I just did
it).  But, if it works, I don't know why it'd need replacing.

Changing the thermostat is quite easy.  Right there on top of your engine, just
behind the radiator/fan but before the valve cover, is a little cap with lots of
hoses coming off it.  Right on top of that is a large bolt-looking-thing (it's a
plug),  You can pull that plug and look inside to see if you have a thermostat.
To put in a new one, all you need to do is get the thermostat and a new gasket,
pull two bolts, pop in the new thermostat, clean up the housing, apply the new
gasket, and put it back together.  You won't be tested on this, but the point is
that it's easy.

Hang in there.  These cars are a lot of fun to drive, but they are also a lot of
fun to work on.  Don't let a mechanic or any list member discourage you (I have
gotten some strange responses from list members too, but I have never
encountered
anybody who didn't really mean well).  Some mechanics just suck, pure and
simple.  I had one tell me that he didn't work on those old cars anymore because
he had invested too much money in new equipment.  I could tell he was looking at
me (through the phone) down his nose.  :-)  Good luck!

adrian
'75 Midget with being dismantled in the driveway
'75 Midget in the garage waiting on me to figure out how to reassemble the doors

PS  I don't think carbs get "old."  Some people are running carbs from the late
50's and early 60's without any problems.  He probably just couldn't figure it
out.

J. Adrian Barnes, MCP
Business Information Group
http://www.workgroup.net