Re: blown head gasket

To: RBHouston@aol.com, Bryan.Vandiver@Eng.Sun.COM, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: blown head gasket
From: robert weeks <robert@woozy.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 10:55:02 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi,

I had the same problem with the exact same setup (copper gasket, ARP
bolts). I pulled the head, put on a new copper gasket and torqued the bolts
to 55 lbs this time with the special grease. So far so good. Maybe the
copper gaskets just won't work with only 45 lbs of torque.

I also ordered a FelPro gasket to see how that would do. The Fel Pro is not
copper. I haven't had a chance or reason to try it out yet but it does seem
much softer and stickier than the copper competition gasket.

I never had a problem with the copper gasket and standard bolts torqued to
65. I think the combo of copper and low torque ARP fasteners is the problem.

YMMV,

Robert
http:/www.woozy.com/midget