Re: head alert

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Subject: Re: head alert
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 19:38:29 -0400
Cc: Mark Snowdon <racer45@bellsouth.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Frank Clarici wrote:

> Mark Snowdon wrote:
>

> > Forget that, there is a 1275 head listed elsewhere on there and the
> > current bid is $45, with valves.
>
> And if anybody is really crazy, there is a 1098 block for $75 but it has
> a broken crank! and a reserve price too!!
> I can't give away a good 948 block and I can't sell a running 1098 for
> $100.
> Maybe I should Ebay them.

I think the real show stopper is shipping an item like this.  High cost
and a packaging nightmare.  I think you can ship things like blocks and
transmissions without a box via UPS.  Of course there can't be anything
thing to break off (i.e. a  manifold) but a block with the head and valve
cover should be shipable just with a label.  Of course check with the
shipper and take your chances on packaging, but how could you hurt a block?
Just a thought.  The real trick is getting a label to stick to an oil
covered block.

Bill Gilroy
77 Midget
90 Shar-Pei

PS.  I have had UPS smash some really tough items and my wife's crystal
candlesticks (boy was she mad :-)

PPS.  This posting is not an invite to start a debate on which shipper is
the best.