Re: The truth about thermostats?

To: cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The truth about thermostats?
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 07:33:01 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Charles,

My 1275 thermostat is very easy to replace; the procedure is as you
outline. Do you have a 1500? In any event, another "truth about
thermostats" is that the cheap ones don't last very long in my experience.
Last Fall, I installed a 180 degree thermostat. It lasted only through
about half the winter. It stuck open and the engine would never warm up. I
installed another one and it failed about a month ago. It stuck closed, so
the engine and I roasted until my two brain neurons finally fired off and
told me to check it. Both of these were made by Stant in the USA and bought
at Pep Boys. The third one I bought at my local LBC shop, Atlanta Imported
Auto Parts <http://www.atlbritishautoparts.com/>. I think it cost a buck
more, but I'm not sure. Certainly not enough to raise an eyebrow. It
_looks_ a lot better made, but I don't know who made it and I don't have
many miles on it yet. My point is, given the trouble you may have in
replacing one, I'd buy the highest quality that you can. Otherwise, you'll
just be doing it all again in the not too distant future. Of course, maybe
they all suck. Testing in progress....

Jeff

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision