Re: Strange rattling

To: "John Gottstein" <gottstein@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Strange rattling
From: "Marlene Rzepkowski" <mrzepkow@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 21:20:52 -0400
Cc: "'Spridgets'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
John,
I recently underwent a rattling problem in my 77 midget.  Started
intermittent at first then got progressively worse.  It was the Fan Clutch!
I don't know for sure if the 75 had a fan clutch but I think it did, and
when they go they do make a racket.  Moss and others carry them for about
$200.  Requires a gear puller to remove from front of waterpump. (and to do
this it requires removal of the radiator)  Also requires removal of the
waterpump for re-installation because it is a press fit hub!

To check it out.  With engine off, grab the fan blade and try to spin it.
If the fan clutch is OK it will move with smooth strong resistance.  If its
shot, will move easily,  may make bad sounds as you move the blade, won't
feel like smooth resistance but might feel like uneven resistance (gritty).

Hope this helps, good luck.
Dick
77 Midget.