Encounter Help(long)

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Encounter Help(long)
From: Jason Urban <jurban@p3.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 09:14:26 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Mornin' All!!

This past Encounter(Aug 18-22) in the Pocono's with the STC was great,
despite a good bit of rain.  After failing tech inspection for our Pocono
Raceway laps because of a loose front tie rod end, I at first was pretty
bummed.  But we still made it to the track along with 50 other Healey's.
And I was able to get on the track in John Davies' '54 100.  Awesome ride -
can't wait 'til we get the track again and I can drive the Sprite!!

But Friday morning, after a fun rally, I finally broke an axle!  We had
just dropped off our papers at the last checkpoint in the hotel parking
lot.  As I pulled up to the front door(Holly REALLY had to hit the
bathroom!), the car wouldn't pull forward right.  After Holly got out, the
car just wouldn't move.  So I pushed it to the other end of the parking lot
and determined it was the right halfshaft.  Well...  crap.  So much for
doing other events.  But at least we did the rally which Holly was really
excited to do.

Our dilema wound up being the best way to meet people in the club.  Trying
to find a new shaft was tougher than I thought.  People would say they had
them, but couldn't find them, or weren't going home to get pick one up.
Luckily, Tom Knorr was running home to change for the banquet on Saturday
night and brought a good one back.

So, we had an impromptu tech session in the hotel parking lot.  I figured
we wouldn't get much help because people were packing up to leave.  But we
had help.
Attempt to fix #1: Remove broken piece with long magnet.
Attempt to fix #2: Remove good halfshaft and try to push broken piece out
from the other side.
Attempt to fix #3:  Remove gears and push broken piece out, then clean,
reinstall gears, refill fluid, and refit all parts.  What could have been a
6 hour job turned into less than 3 hours(including the hour to try to pull
the old piece out without removing gears) thanks to John Payne, Ben Kenion,
Rick Brodeur, Tom Walker, and Mike Haran.  Mike Haran even sacrificed his
Sprite hood prop to bend and use as a rod to get old piece out.  I've never
seen so many dedicated people pitching in and getting greasy to help out a
fellow LBC owner.  It actually made the job kinda fun!!  We made it home
with no rear leaks or excessive noise in the axle!!  After the axle rebuild
and a front suspension rebuild this winter, the car will be back in full
force next year.

But in bigger news, Holly and I are now engaged!!!  Found a nice little
place on the scenic tour(before axle breakage) and totally surprised her.
Everyone at Encounter knew before our parents!!(didn't realize Encounter
was marriage related, nor did I realize 'til later that the Pocono's were
also wedding and honeymoon attractions!)  I've been teasing her about using
Healey's in the wedding - she hasn't totally disagreed, but she's worried
about smelling like exhaust.

It was definitely one of those vacations that we'll remember forever.  Our
region is putting Encounter on in the Valley Forge area next August.  We
could use event help and ideas.  Next year, we'd like to try something
different because the event has pretty much been the same from year to
year.  Check out www.austin-healey-stc.org for more info.

Thanks!!
Jason.

|  Jason Urban - APOGEE LABS  215-699-2060    |
|     CA Studio   web.p3.net/~jurban          |
|  '95 Z/28 6spd    '65 Austin-Healey Sprite  |
|  '96 Land Rover Disco                       |