Re: Smoking Midget

To: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Smoking Midget
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 00:13:50 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
"Charles D. Sorkin" wrote:

> Good evening list:
>
> It seems that the white smoke from the Midget is coming from the ground wire
> of the battery.  Apparently it is decaying, and the insulation is burning
> up.  The wire was hot and sparking when I handled it.  Is this simply a
> fault of an old wire, or is it symptomatic of a more sinister electrical
> problem?
>
> I'll be replacing the cable with a generic type from Autozone (I have no
> reason to think that I need to purchasae the Moss Motors brand battery
> cable.)  What else should I check for?

Charles,

Sounds like high resistance in the wire or the connections.  I would
clean the connections at both ends.  For the battery side I would use
a battery terminal cleaner.  This is simply two round wire brushes.
One is shaped like a doughnut and is used to clean the battery post.
The other brush is shaped like a pipe cleaner and is used to clean
the battery connector.  I would also clean the metal connector that
is fastened to the car. A wire brush or sand paper would work fine.
I would use a di-electric grease on the battery post to stop corrosion.

You can also test how much resistance is in the cable but I don't know
how. I am sure another lister will explain this process.

Bill Gilroy
77 Midget
90 Shar-Pei