Re: Hello from a new listie

To: payn@null.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hello from a new listie
From: Lancer7676@aol.com
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 08:19:25 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 9/3/99 11:26:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time, payn@null.net
writes:

<< s there a FAQ somewhere that I should read?>>

Right here Andy is the best source for FAQ's. Stay tuned, ask questions, go
to our archives and write in a search topic.  You will get an answer. <A
HREF="http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=spridgets";>Spridget List
Archives</A>

<< Are there a bunch of links that can get me started searching for Spridget
 info on the net?>>

This will get you started.  It has a multitude of Links to other sites.
Other listers will send more I am sure.  <A
HREF="http://members.tripod.com/PDLJMPR/contents.htm";>PDLJMPR Web Magazine
for Austin Healey Sprites - Table of Contents</A>

<<Where can I get a repair manual and an owner's manual?>>

I would start with Haynes.  Some guys prefer the Bently.  Haynes is probably
available, maybe on ordrer from Your local Auto stop and shop, like Auto Zone
or Advance.

<< Where's the best place near me for parts?>>

I would first check Advance Auto.  It is amazing what they can get.  Beyond
that there are several sources of parts, depending on what you need.  A great
source of many parts, as well as rebuilt shocks and suspension items, is a
lister, Peter Caldwell of World Wide Auto Parts (nosimport@mailbag.com).

<< Is there a good mail-order source for parts (or more than one)?>>

There are several.  Peter, above, is an excellent starting point for mail.  I
have also gotten excellent parts from Moss and Victoria British, but be sure
to specify you want NO oriental-made parts--only USA- or British-made.
Winner's Circle in Cleveland is good.  Mini-Mania.  There are several others.
 The listers will send more.

 <<Who's the best professional mechanic near me?>>

Dunno--I can only speak for Knoxville, TN.

<< Why doesn't anyone make a car this great anymore?>>

Look around.  Why doesnt anyone make anything as great any more?  Cars have
become jelly beans--all looking alike.  We have lost so much in our drive to
conformity.  The age when these cars were made was the tail end of
individuality and uniqueness.  We are in the age of the plastic mold.

<< Any hints on the ricketiness going over bumps?>>

I am afraid you should check the suspension--especially for looseness in the
kingpin and lower suspension.  As you will see when you get a manual,
everything rides on a threaded bolt at the bottom that pivots inside threaded
bushings.  These wear out and must be replaced.  Major Suspension Kits are
available from the mail order parts suppliers.  You will need a manual and
input from the list when and if you get to that point.  Assuming of course
this is what you need--it frequently is.  Could just be loose bolts and worn
rubber bushings, but I would guess it goes further than that.

<< Is it worth converting the suspension to something more modern? Are there
 kits for that? Are they a good deal? How hard is it?>>

I haven't -- Maybe other listers can speak to that.  There ARE conversion
kits to modern tube shocks if you would want to go that route.  The ones I
have been impressed with are essentially bolt on.

<<Is there a reasonably easy way to improve the brakes?>>

Depends.  If you have an older Midget with single braking system, you CAN
convert to the later Dual braking system with a new master, proportioning
valve and new brake piping.  If you have front drums, you can convert to
front discs.  Again, other listers might have more ideas here.

--David C.