Re: Front bearing question

To: pasgeirsson@juno.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Front bearing question
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 14:10:25 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 09/05/1999 4:20:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
pasgeirsson@juno.com writes:

 P.S.  And leave out the #%@! spacer! >>

Okay, I give up.  What is the spacer for?  I have the left front hub apart,
and the spacer is ground down about 1/8" in places around it.  It looks like
it is just lying inside the hub loose, and it just spins around whenever it
wants to, grinding down the inside of the hub as well.

The bearings hit a ledge when they are installed, so I can't see a reason for
the spacer.  I am inclined to leave it out, but I would like to know the
reason for the design.

One more question.  Which way does the word "THRUST" go?  The bearings I took
out had it facing the spacer on the inside bearing (the bigger one) and
toward the wheel on the outside bearing (the other one).  Bentley says to put
the word adjacent to the spacer, and Haynes says that different manufacturers
put the word on either side and to follow their directions.  The direction
sheet with these bearings doesn't say anything.

HELP!!!

Allen Hefner
'77 MG Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport