FIRST DRIVE, WOO-HOO!

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net, phax@eng.kns.com, rah204@hotmail.com
Subject: FIRST DRIVE, WOO-HOO!
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 17:41:32 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I actually drove my Midget for the first time today!  A long time ago I said
that it wouldn't take me a year to get it running and I beat the year by two
months!

I spent the last two weekends plus a few vaca days working on it to finish up
the brakes and clutch hydraulics.  I installed the Amco hood.  I also changed
the oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket (and painted the cover) and checked
the valve lash while I was in there.  Checked the plugs (didn't realize you
have to almost remove the alternator to get to plug #1) and re-gapped them.
I don't think much of the Unipart plug wires.  CHEEP!!  I'll get Magnecors
later.  I also changed the oil in the sump, tranny and diff.  All synthetics.

So I took it for a spin (Uninspected.  OOPS!) and it has a pretty strong
engine, considering the gas is several years old.  The clutch engages at the
bottom of travel.  I will bleed it again when I regain my strength.  Hope
that helps.  Also, 2 to 3 shift grinds a little if I take it too fast.
Hoping the clutch bleeding will help a little with that.

I'll have to get used to the manual brakes. Almost everything is new, except
the calipers that I rebuilt, the pressure switch and the rear drums.
Hopefully another bleed and triple check for weeping connectors will harden
the pedal, along with breaking them in.

I have to get the insurance certificate and fix the turn signals and then I
can get it inspected.  I hope to make the MGs at Mercer show in October.

I couldn't have done this job without the listers out there helping
me...egging, er, urging me on.  A big thank you to all.

I finally got to drive my Midget!

Allen Hefner
'77 MG Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport