Re: Sprite wheels & tires

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sprite wheels & tires
From: "Curtis Carlson" <carlson@navtech.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 12:08:02 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Re: Sprite wheels and tires....

Did you all know that the offset for the steel wheels for Bugeyes and early
squarebodied Sprites is different than the offset for later square bodied
Sprites?  When I bought my car, it had 4 steel "slot ventilated"  wheels and
one steel "hole ventilated" wheel for the spare.  The "holed" spare wheel
and tire would never fit into my trunk with the supplied tie-down.  I just
got my replacement "slotted" steel wheel back from the paintshop and after I
put the tire on it, it fit into the trunk and the tie-down (bolt with large
washer) works now.  I gave my old "holed" spare to Phil Vanner for his '62
Midget.

BTW....I'm running with Michelin 145-13's and man, they're GRRRREEEAT!!!
I'd highly recommend them over the 155-13's I had before.....better
cornering, closer to original, and no rubbing on the front suspension on
those tight corners in the gymkhanas.

Curt

Curtis Carlson
'66 Austin Healey Sprite MkIII ("Gerty") HAN8L-63423
'72 MG Midget MkIII ("unnamed")
Research Geographer  612.931.3936 (voice)
Navigation Technologies  612.931.3937 (fax)
5780 Lincoln Dr  Ste. 100 612.251.7492 (mobile)
Edina, MN  55436  carlson@navtech.com