Relay question

To: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Relay question
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 22:18:26 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I have a rather stupid question about relays and I am sure someone
on the list can help.  Here goes.  I have a 30 amp relay that
has the following markings on the terminals: 30, 85, 86, 87, 87A.
My understanding of the terminals is this:

30 = power into the relay
85 = power that cause the relay to switch
86 = ground for 85 and relay
87a = power when the relay is inactive
87 = power when the relay is active (when there is power on 85)

My question is have I correcttly labeled 85 and 86?  Does it matter
if I reverse the power and ground on 85 and 86? Would that affect
how the relay function.  I would like to get this right the first
time, that way my fuel pump will work.

As for the fuel pump I went with a 3-5 PSI NAPA pump (it was
made by Carter).  I mounted it on the vertical hump that is in
front of the rear axle.  I was having trouble getting the pump,
a fuel filter (the pump recommends a filter before the pump to
prevent failure), and rubber hoses to fit in that tiny space
neatly.  What I finally found was a 90 degree street elbow that I
screwed into the top of the pump.  I then screwed a fuel filter
into that street elbow.  I then used rubber hoses on one end of
the pump and on one end of the fuel filter.  It fit together
real nicely.  I then ran the power to the pump thorough one of
those black split PVC wiring looms.  That should prevent a short
caused by chaffing.  All in all I am pleased with how the job
turned out.  All I have left is to hook up the relay and away I
go.

Bill Gilroy
77 Midget
90 Shar-Pei