lexan vs. plexiglass

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: lexan vs. plexiglass
From: "cfchrist" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 14:38:07 -0000
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
if you are inclined to make a window from lexan be cautioned that lexan has
no "memory".  you can bend it silly and even heat it and it tries to return
to it's flat form again.  also lexan is much softer than plexiglass.  it
scratches just running a paper towel with windex over it(should use the
special lexan cleaner).  as for plexiglas it can be moulded with heat and is
more resistant to scratches.  use a heat gun for more uniform heating and to
keep from getting the air bubbles in it from overheating.  i learned a lot
about this stuff when i had to manufacture a windscreen for my saab sports
racer.  oh yeah also remember plexiglass shatters like glass . leaving long
sharp shards. not something i would want right by my head?  lexan usually
pops out. this is why in vintage racing lexan is required over plexiglass,
for safety.   i know both materials have their own set of useful qualities.
just be carefull and stay safe!

chuck.
spending hours cleaning up after floyd!