Re: splitting front calipers

To: shawn tobin <suhs2@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: splitting front calipers
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 20:04:46 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
shawn tobin wrote:

> Now the problem:
> My rebuilt caliper of six months age has sprung a leak seemingly at the top
> of the seam where the two caliper halves join.
>
> Questions:
> Can I remove and replace the caliper half without taking the caliper off the
> car?

I don't think so but I never tried it.

> Can I successfully repair this leak at all?
> What is involved?

When you rebuilt them did you split the halvs? If so, did you renew the
"O" ring inbetween? If not, this is probably the problem.
Or if you used anything other then Lockheed kits for the rebuild, you
just learned a lesson. (I did so don't feel bad)

> What grade bolts do I use to reassemble?
The original bolts can be reused.

> Locking devices?
Locktite

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ

60 Bugeye Sprite (my car)
67 Sprite (wife's car)
59 Austin A40 Farina w/AC (daughters car)
71 MG Midget racer (working on it)

http://www.exit109.com/~spritenut/