Re: The 1st Of Many (stupid) Questions

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The 1st Of Many (stupid) Questions
From: andi payn <payn@null.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 20:38:43 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Robert:
>You all do know that unless you live in a city with two or more refineries,
>all the gas at all the stations comes out of the same place.

Yes, but the LA area has four. Of course the other 5 or so chains just buy
whichever is cheapest that month.

>As far as additives go, I was told by a petrochemical engineer I was
>interviewing a few years ago that there are federal regulations against
>tampering with fuel after is has been refined.

There are rules about what can and cannot go in fuel. You can put
detergents in.

>The concensus of egineers on the Triumph page was that if your car did not
>ping on the lower octane gas, you got no benefit at all from the higher
>octane.

The extra octane is 99.99% useless, but the extra detergents may make a
difference. Or maybe not. One high-level engineer is all I have to go on,
and he tells me I should use one full tank of good gas every few months,
and buy the cheapest I can get the rest of the time.