RE: Alternator Lights, Engine Bay Chirps and Leaks

To: "Philip Hubbard" <hubbard@idir.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Alternator Lights, Engine Bay Chirps and Leaks
From: "Bill Miller" <millerb@netusa1.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 19:17:03 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Philip-

Your diagnosis is a were I would start.  It's the easiest and you have to
replace the water pump anyway.

If your initial "fixes" don't fix the problem:
The chirps could be from an alternator bearing going out.  (does the pulley
wobble?)  Could be the cause of the ignition light flashes as well.
However, every British car I have ever owned, the ignition light will come
on at very low RPM.

I'm not sure if a 74 uses a mechanical fuel pump.  They can chirp
intermittently.  Especially if the fuel lines are disconnected (using an
electric) and the pump is left on, or they are about ready to go.

I've located stray sounds by sticking a small rubber hose in my ear and
*carefully* put the other end on the different components.

Bill