Re: brake question

To: trunkie@hotmail.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brake question
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 10:23:19 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 10/7/99 3:58:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
trunkie@hotmail.com writes:

<< Sometimes when I use the brakes just as shes coming to a halt, there is
this
 'groan'...an audible vibration that I can feel through my foot as well as
 hear. It dosen't happen every time but maybe 1/10 stops.
 Anyone have a clue whats going on here? >>

How old are the brake pads/shoes?  Old linings can cause this kind of noise
when they vibrate, or they can cause a high pitched brake squeal.  The
frequency of vibration is what makes a low or high pitched noise, but the
cause is usually the same.  Brake rotors can get glazed which contributes to
the noise problem.

If you haven't changed pads or shoes in a year or two, do a brake job and cut
(or deglaze by sanding) the rotors.  Make sure everything is cleaned
thoroughly with Brakleen (or your choice of spray on brake cleaner) before
reassembly.  Use new clamps and pins on the calipers and renew the springs on
the rear brakes.

Brakes are not rocket science.  Keep it clean and in good condition and they
will work fine.  Ignore your brakes and they will go away!

Safety Fast!

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget