Re: Removing needle-bearing pilot bush

To: ulix <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: Removing needle-bearing pilot bush
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 08:57:43 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
ulix wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> yes, I am working on the 1380 engine again!
> While the block and internals are done except for the end plates, I just
> realized the pilot bush is still in the crank.
> On my '67 1275, I just chiseled the bushing along its length to get it
> out, but this '73 engine has a needle bearing as a pilot bush.  How do I
> get it out?

Pack it with grease, insert a "suitable" drift (aka the closest size
socket wrench that fits) put an extension over the hole in the socket,
themn (typical Frank) smack it with a hammer!
The bearing should walk right out around the socket.
The impact will force the grease behind the bearing and push it out.

--
 Frank
 Drive it or give it to somebody that will