RE: Targa Florio Sprite in Texas

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Targa Florio Sprite in Texas
From: Daniel Thompson <dthompson@gbc.ca>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 07:58:01 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
It is indeed. And it resides with the '68 LeMans car. Both are pictured in
the book "More Healeys" by Geoffrey. For the Targa Florio car see the
picture of the unpainted roadster. The LeMans car is the last one before BMC
pulled the financial plug. Both were sold to the Florida distributor of
Healey cars (his name is in the book) and then passed thru several hands.
They were raced in SCCA events in the U.S. and eventually modified with wide
wheels, fender flares, engines swops etc.

Leo from the list has visited the cars and taken pictures. I have copies in
my other computer. The cars are in sad shape. Not rusted but hacked up and
incomplete. They are certainly restorable. The most recent owner died and
the widow wants to sell. The man who is handling the sale is the same guy
who initiated the "Spec Sprite" series in the U.S. His name is Roger
something and he runs under the banner "Jolly Rodger Racing". I could find
his email and phone if you want.

I would love to buy and restore one of the cars, but here is the catch: they
want $40,000 for the Targa Florio car and $50,000 for the LeMans car. That's
U.S.$ and "as is". Even the European and U.K. dealers are staying away at
those prices.

Good luck (to you and the cars),

Daniel58612