Re: Caliper Rebuild

To: Dave <franks@teleport.com>
Subject: Re: Caliper Rebuild
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 13:29:15 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Dave,

I have done this task. Check the manual (either the BL workshop manual or
Haynes) as I don't think there are any special tricks. The one difficult
part is getting the metal ring dust seal/retainer drifted into position
evenly. It is thin metal and the lip deforms easily. My first try went
without a hitch. The other side took me three tries. That means I went
through three of the retainers because once they are deformed, they are
nearly impossible to reseat evenly. The trick is to find a plank of wood or
something else that fits within the confines of the jaws of the caliper yet
is big enough to cover the retainer completely. Use this to press the
retainer in.

Others on the list don't have this trouble at all, so maybe I'm special.

Good luck,

Jeff

---