Brake Dual MC Leaking AGAIN

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake Dual MC Leaking AGAIN
From: "Tom Zuchowski" <tzuchow@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 18:27:44 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I can't seem to keep a tight dual-circuit MC on my car. They seem to last
about a year, and then they begin leaking a bit, down the rod and the pedal
and onto the floor mat. My current MC just started leaking. It does fine for
weeks, and then all at once loses about a quarter of an inch out of the
reservoir. In three years on the road I've been through the "original" MC
that came on the car, a brand new one I bought from one of the mail-order
houses, and a rebuilt job from Advance Auto.

I've been changing the fluid twice a year, thinking that the fluid was going
bad on me. But the new one is leaking, so if that's it there is something
going on here. I've noticed that the 6-month-old fluid that came out of my
system is very reddish compared to the clear color of fresh fluid. Is that a
normal color for used brake fluid? Or am I perhaps looking at something like
rust contamination in my brake lines?

Any idea why I am just losing the MC and not the wheel cylinders or
calipers? Is there a method for bleeding a new MC that should be followed?
Is it possible that I might be damaging the MC when I bleed it the first
time?

Any ideas any of you might have would be very greatly appreciated!
Completely apart from the expense, it's a big pain to change the MC every
year!

Thanks!

Tom Zuchowski
'61 Bugeye (with '67 or '68 brakes)