Re: axle shafts

To: Bkitterer@aol.com
Subject: Re: axle shafts
From: Paul A Asgeirsson <pasgeirsson@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 15:06:16 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Into the fray!

All steel wheel axles that FIT a Spridget do not have the same part
numbers.  The later axles had greter strength to handle the increased HP.
 They may well have varied slightly in length by plus or minus 1/8" or
so.  I cannot imagine this variation would ever be a problem.

When I put sprite rear brakes in my Morris, I had to space the hubs out
about .100 of an inch.  This meant the axles were gripped by the spider
gears at a new place.  Never had a problem.  I took off the Sprite rear
brakes after 150,000 miles or so and put back the Morris brakes and
removed the hub spacers.  Same axles now with an additional 200,000 miles
or so.  Now they are holding a  much bigger engine with no breakage.

Paul
PAsgeirsson@juno.com