Valve Adjustments

To: "Spridgets list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Valve Adjustments
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 08:09:29 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Good morning, list:

I finally readjusted the valves on my 1275 engine yesterday to what I
believe is the correct clearance of 0.012 inches when cold (or in my case, a
little bit warm).  I have no knowledge of when the valves were previously
adjusted ever, but they were relatively quiet before I did the adjusting.
Subsequent, I noticed two things:

1.    I am getting significantly more tappet noise than before.  Not
terribly loud, but noticeable.  Is this normal?  Even if its not...

2.    I am definitely getting more power output, maybe 5-15 hp, especially
in the midrange of RPMs.  The engine, besides the tappet noise, is
generating an exhilarating low frequency rumble/roar that really sounds
fantastic, better than I've ever heard this car sound.

Should I be concerned about the valve noise given this?

Later in the day, I fixed an exhaust leak between the manifold and the pipe,
an after breaking one of the studs (profanity omitted), I discovered that my
idle is now siting exactly at 1000 (as per the factory specs) and the
backfiring problem (a pop whenever the RPMs dropped quickly) vanished.
Unfortunately, the above-mentioned roaring sound quieted a bit.

After I finish up this tuneup, next step:  rust repair.

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget
cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com