Re: We Be Tight -- Aircleaners?

To: "Chuck Ciaffone" <chuckc@attglobal.net>, "spridget list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: We Be Tight -- Aircleaners?
From: "wizardz" <wizardz@maxinter.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 10:52:43 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
It's not just the boxes...it's the elements themselves.
Also note...the boxes actually help in the velocity of the air
entering the carbs.
That is to say...you'll notice the air intake on the box
is the same size as the carb throats. The higher velocity gives
better low and mid range power and helps atomize fuel better.
The K&N's are only really benifical if and when you are breathing more
(bigger pistons or cam upgrades or ported and polished or ...etc or any combo
of the above)
You'll have to thin out the needles (richen the mixture) to compensate for the
higher
air intake volume due to the reduced breathing limitations caused by the lesser
efficiency of the original style filter elelments.

I run Dual open box K&N's on my 18V (+0.020 overbore mild cam upgrade)
I had to go all the way up to AAA needles and heavier air piston springs to get
the entire range of fuel/air mixt correct.

Paul Tegler
OBie - 1973 BGT - Daily Driver
http://www.teglerizer.com/mgstuff/ob_description.htm
Rat - 1980 Spitfire  w/  O/D - in re-hab
http://www.teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/spit80.htm
Punkin' - 1978 Spitfire - in Superb Shape!
http://www.teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/spit78.htm
Greene - 1972 Round Wheel arch MG Midget in the works
email: wizardz@toad.net        http://www.teglerizer.com