Re: Autographed valve cover

To: Wiedemeyer <boxweed@thebest.net>, MidgetSpriteClub <midgetspriteclub@listbot.com>
Subject: Re: Autographed valve cover
From: Jim Algar <JamesA@hi-torque.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 09:54:18 -0700
Cc: spridgets list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Wiedemeyer wrote:

> Why couldn't it have been a previous owner who wanted to immortalize
> himself?  This would make more sense to me, because, logistically, a guy
> working on the assembly line would probably not have had time to engrave his
> name on the valve cover as the engine was moving down the line, and would
> probably not have had access to an engraving tool either.
>
> Bob

Yours is a finely reasoned argument, Bob, except for one thing: there is no
previous owner. I bought the car new off the dealer's showroom floor, and
noticed the valve cover signature the very first time I popped the hood to
check out my new "toy". I suppose someone at the dealer could have done it, but
I don't see why. So, the mystery continues. Here's my original post on this:

I filed this one away in my brain's "inactive" file many, many years
ago, but joining the list has brought it back, so here goes:

There is a signature engraved into the valve cover on my 1275 engine
('69 Sprite Mk.IV). It has been there since the day I bought the car,
and I bought it new in '69. It was obviously done with an electric
engraving tool (you know, one of those "bzzzzzzzt" things).

The signature? C.R. Chapman. And before your eyes get big, no, that's
not Colin Chapman of Lotus fame (who wouldn't have anything to do with a
BMC "A"-series engine, anyway). Initials are wrong; he was Anthony Colin
Bruce Chapman. So, who is C.R. Chapman, and why is his signature on my
valve cover? Somebody at the factory (exactly where were "A"-series
engines assembled, anyway?) having a bit of fun?

Anybody else out there have a personalized valve cover? Just an errant
question for a slow afternoon.

regards,
Jim Algar
Valencia, CA