Re: Timing vs. cooling efficiency

To: "Andy Webster" <trunkie@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Timing vs. cooling efficiency
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 00:03:25 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Andy,

I wondered about this myself and contacted Redline before using the
product. According to their tech support, WW contains corrosion
inhibitors, supposedly enough to replace the inhibitors in typical
antifreeze.

However, I'm not sure I understand you're point about the
corrosiveness of the glycol. The glycol comes from the antifreeze,
and so is mixed with whatever inhibitors are required to prevent
corrosion by glycol and water.  The ratio of glycol to inhibitors is
fixed, so it should not matter how much antifreeze you add to your
coolant system. No doubt I'm missing something here. Actually, glycol
as a corrosive is news to me, so am ignorant about this. Please
elucidate when you get a chance.

Thanks,

Jeff

---
On 11/6/99, Andy Webster wrote:
> >Redline suggests dropping the antifreeze levels to
> >about 10% (water cools better than antifreeze). I would not do that >in the
> >winter up north.
>
>This is a dangerous move....
>The concentration of corrosion inhibitors will be too low to protect the
>metal from the glycol, which is still corrosive even at low concentrations.
>Most good antifrezes will, on the label, stress 'do not use in less than 33%
>strength'. this is not just to sell more product.
>In summer ( and winter if your local climate allows) you could use no anti
>freeze at all and just go with some corrosion inhibitor and the water
>wetter.
>Incidently, the water wetter could be replaced by a few drops of dishwashing
>detergent (sink not machine) as this is pretty much all that it is: a mild
>surfactant that lowers surface tension and increases the the waters ability
>to 'wet' the metal, thus increasing heat transfer.
>Andy

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision
http://www.molvis.org/molvis