Re: What exactly did we do on Sunday?

To: "Frank Clarici" <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Subject: Re: What exactly did we do on Sunday?
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 21:35:09 -0500
Cc: "Spridgets list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
To the list:

Frank was kind enough to assist me with some tune up tasks his weekend, and
while corresponding with him, something so wierd occured that I figure the
list could benefit from my insight...

Well, I went out to attend to the Midget (stalled since Monday), and oddly
enough, it started right up.  It idled roughly, so I adjusted the
distributor until it was running smoothly.  Then, I tried to tighten up the
dizzy clamp to hold it in place.  It took about 45 minutes for me to
discover that I did not have a singe wrench or socket that could fit between
the tightning bolt and the engine.

Wierd part...

While attending to this problem, a bolt of lightning struck (no joke, it
really happened).  Three seconds later, the car stalled out, accompanied by
the loud bang of a backfire, simultaneous with the sound of the thunder.
(Again, I'm not making this part up.)  I suspect that either of two things
are occuring:  either a wire fell out of the coil, or all of the fiddling
with the distributor has damaged or interfered with the rotor.

Could the lightning be a manifestation of some horrible Lucas inspired
demon?  Perhaps it was irritated that I was glancing at the specs of the
Mallory replacement dizzy advertised in Moss and VB?

As before, the starter would still crank, but not turn over.

With the storm commencing, I have given up for the evening.  Any ideas?

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget
cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com
Bloomfield, NJ

PS... could not draw any air through the vacuum fitting.  Lori (my wife) now
thinks I'm nuts.  So:  How do I tighten the dizzy clamp,anyway?

One more odd thing.  At first I wondered if there was any consequence to the
fact that the hose at the bottom of my carbon cannister had ruptured.  I
followed the end othe hose and noticed that the other end simply hangs out
over the road, attached to nothing.  Is t supposed to be like that?