Re: bonnet numbers

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>, BCAH@aol.com
Subject: Re: bonnet numbers
From: Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 22:39:56 -0800
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
On a MKIV, the same (chassis) number appears on the right hand footwell
floor panel about an inch forward of the frame and centered. Probably not
seen by most owners since the floor is covered with paint and sound
insulation. I don't know when this practice started, but my '68 is this way.

Gerard

At 10:40 PM -0500 11/16/99, Frank Clarici wrote:
>BCAH@aol.com wrote:
>>
>> I don't understand,---are there two numbers stamped into the bonnet near the
>> hinge? Are we talking Bugeye here? I have a number stamped into the sheet
>> metal above the passengers knee area ( engine side) which on other cars was
>> close to , but never the same, as the ID number. I have always wanted to
>>know
>> the true ID number of my car as when I bought it there were no numbers
>> anywhere except the above mentioned one.     Bob  C
>
>I did a research project on these "body numbers" a few years ago.
>It was for the Sprite Newsleter. All Bugeyes had a number stamped in the
>body near the right bonnet hinge, and it was close to but not the same
>as the chassis ID#.
>All other (square body) spridgets have the chassis ID stamped in the
>frame near the front shock mount. This number is supposed to match the
>chassis ID (VIN#)
>--
> Frank
> Drive it or give it to somebody that will
> http://www.exit109.com/~spritenut/

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux
 E A
  R R        pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com
   A A