RE: tranny 2nd gear replacement

To: "wizardz" <wizardz@maxinter.net>
Subject: RE: tranny 2nd gear replacement
From: "Ken Waringa" <kwaringa@dynsys.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 13:44:49 -0600
Cc: "Midgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Paul, you do have to pretty much disassemble the gearbox.  If you are going
that far you might as well put new bearings and layshaft in as well.  Make
sure you have a good manual.  I used the Haynes manual which leaves a lot to
be desired for a gearbox rebuild.  My gearbox leaked all the oil out and the
bearings went bad.  Of course, my son never noticed the increased noise or
grinding coming from it while he drove to college each day.  I found the
layshaft deeply grooved and layshaft bearings shot.  VB has a rebuild kit
that I bought and installed.  It includes the bearings, layshaft, and
gaskets.  Don't skimp when rebuilding the box.  I didn't replace the needle
bearings on the mainshaft under the gears, big mistake.  After my son
driving the car to college daily for 2 months it's making a lot of noise
again.  I have another gearbox I also rebuilt so I'm going to install it and
hope for the best.  This one only had a bad input shaft bearing.

When you disassemble the gearbox, watch for springs and ball bearings,
especially the syncro hubs.  There are ball bearings that are spring loaded
under the outer hub.  If you inadvertently move the outer hub wrong the
balls and springs fly.  Believe me they are very hard to find again.  I
spent hours in my knees in the garage looking for the stupid things.

If I can be of any assistance don't hesitate to ask.  This is my work email.
My home email is kcwaringa@worldnet.att.net

Good Luck

Ken Waringa
71 TR6