RE: Heater switch? -- Little LBC - now NO LBC.

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Heater switch? -- Little LBC - now NO LBC.
From: Tim Osborne <timos@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 13:31:51 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Let me take a crack at this, so to speak.

Lightning isn't really DC, except maybe over a very small time delta - but
then so is AC current!  Most lightning strikes I know of don't last too long
(fortunately).

Therefore it acts *just* like high frequency AC current - di/dt, for you
calculus fans, is really high.  When is di/dt slow enough to be considered
DC?  Hmmm.

All my texts on hand speak of skin effect as a "magnetic phenomenon", or
higher inductance in the bulk of the material, that keeps the current on the
surface - but I suspect this a Maxwellian answer to a solid state physics
problem.  I would imagine that electron-level issues (generation and
recombination) play a role, not to mention plasma physics in the case of
lightning.

I'll shut up now.  Physicists out there?

Yours pedantically,  ;)

tim