Battery indicator warning

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Battery indicator warning
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 10:10:26 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Good morning list:

While cruising around last night (I'm sure glad the heater works so well, it
was 28 degrees out) I noticed something of concern.  While at idle, and
while coasting in neutral, I noticed that when I used any electrical feature
(heater fan, headlights, brakes), the ignition warning light would come on
very faintly.  Revving the engine seemed to put it out again.  My first
thought was that the regulator wasn't functioning properly, but my idle
speed (1000-1100 rpm) should have been fast enough to deliver sufficient
output from the alternator.  The light was faint enough that I would not
have noticed it except that the light bulb in my garage had burnt out.

What items should be checked / tested, and in what order?  Also, where is
the regulator on a '74 Midget located?  In the alternator?  Near the fuse
block?  (Don't hassle me, I don't have the manual here at the office).

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget
'68 Sprite