Re: Lucas Alternators, was Battery indicator warning

To: davidr@sunset.net, IfixMGs@aol.com
Subject: Re: Lucas Alternators, was Battery indicator warning
From: Daniel1312@aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 15:05:56 EST
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
All the Lucas ACR alternators look and fit pretty much the same but can vary
enormously in output (I use an MGB spec on my Sprite with 160W main beam).

Many years ago a friend had a mini van and when the alternator packed up he
pulled one of an Austin Allegro and fitted it instead.  After a while there
was a stench in the van and when starting the engine it made an amusing sound
not unlike a piston engined aircraft (the engine ran a lot slower at idle
than the cranking speed) - first time every time too.  Turned out the Allegro
alternator seriously overcharged the mini battery and must have been in part
due to some sort of fault with the alternator as well as its output.

Daniel1312

In a message dated 01/12/99 22:30:36 Pacific Standard Time, davidr@sunset.net