resurrection/test drive

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: resurrection/test drive
From: Glen <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 14:07:59 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Well, yesterday was the big day.  DMV issued new plates and I hit the
road legally.  After a 12 year layup the turbo-bugeye got a workout.
The newly rebuilt suspension felt hard and tight, the brakes adequate,
but in need of a little break-in on the rotors and pads. Rebuilt
tranny was a little noisy but shifted well.

At first I didn't see any boost from the turbo, then I found I was too
conservative on the gas pedal.  Once I got over the new car jitters
and stepped on it, it was great.  Shifting at 6K and put the pedal on the
floor, the turbo would wind up and away we went.  The lack of low-end
torque confirmed the DPO's assesment that the cam is a bit over the top.
A more reasonable cam (sitting in a parts engine in the backyard) will
make an appreciable difference.

I wonder if everyone else on the list has the same problem I just
discovered? I can't get the smile off my face after I get out of the
car.  Carb leaks I can fix, windshields can be ordered, cams changed,
but that big s**t-eating grin just won't go away!
                        Regards, Glen Byrns