Re: Turbo Bugeye

To: "Ulix Goettsch" <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: Turbo Bugeye
From: "rob thomas" <rob@thomasr.greatxscape.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 19:01:53 -0000
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
----- Original Message -----
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
To: rob thomas <rob@thomasr.greatxscape.net>
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sent: 14 December 1999 20:55

> > Mk3.5 Midget (a 1972 RWA shell with 1500 front frame and a 2 litre
> > twin-cam!!!!)
>
> Rob,
>
> that sounds interesting :-)
> Can we hear some more about this one?
>
> Ulix

Usa da pasta.....make da Spridget go fasta!!!!!

Heres a recipe for my favourite dish...

Take a 72 Midget and add a large helping of Pine Tree to the front end.
Take 2 heaped trailers full of rusty-rear 1500 and sprinkle lightly around
the 72 Midget.
Coat all with a light sprinkling of paint remover and warm lightly with a
welding torch until both cars separate at the middle when touched.
Discard any excess that falls off and firmly squish the remains together.
Fill with a 5-speed Fiat131 gearbox and a Lancia Thema,Fiat131/132 or even a
supercharged Lancia Volumex.
Add Konis, Riley1.5 rear brakes and the biggest front discs you can afford.
Apply right foot and replace rear tyres frequently.

Bon Appetite!!

I've done two of these now.  The best one used the Thema block, which is
FWD, converted to RWD and it fitted under the bonnet(Hood) with only the
passengers' footwell requiring any modification by welding.  Since Lancias
and Fiats rust faster than they drive, there are plenty about.  The tunnel
needs a bit of a beating and I put a different crossmember in to keep it all
together.  It would work better on a Left-hand drive car as the exhaust sits
very close to the steering column on mine.  I have kept the other car but
have used a Morris Ital block which mats to a 1500 gearbox.  This is the
better A+ block with the canister oil filter on the side above the stock
electronic distributor.  I use an MG METRO non-bypass head,1.75
carb/manifold, cam and timing system which gives the timing marks on the top
where you can see them, available for any A-series for just a few Pounds.
The A+ setup is not as potent as the 135bhp-as-standard Italian type but it
leaves more room under the bonnet for other goodies.  P.S.  My car looks
almost identical to the red one on the Winners Circle site, albeit with an
Ashley Fastback GT hardtop and an MGC bonnet.