Re: New Midget

To: "Mike Curtis-Rouse" <serville_dash@lineone.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: New Midget
From: Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 09:43:39 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Mike,

Unlike earlier Sprites and Midgets that had provisions on both sides for
the steering column mounts, the later models have different sheet metal
design in the front of the foot boxes for the collapsable steering column..
I believe the only way you can do it is to actually cut off each footbox
and attach the appropriate RHD steering sheet metal. On earlier cars
everything else would bolt right up, but I'm not sure on yours. If you can
overcome that first hurdle, the rest will be relatively easy.

Gerard

At 3:02 PM +0000 12/17/99, Mike Curtis-Rouse wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've just bought my first MG Midget, well actually two Midgets. A 1973 MK
>III Midget which is completely rusted through in most places though with a
>refurnished engine. It has been sitting in shed for five years or so, though
>the engine started on on the first try, so hopeful. The other is a 1974 MK
>III Midget which has been imported from California and is pretty much rust
>free. I bought the pair from a guy who intended to transfer the 1973 UK
>Model mechanical parts into the USA 1974 Midget ie merging the pair. His
>only fault with the Californian Midget was that it was left hand drive and
>had the emission control modified engine head.
>
>I intend to carry on where he has left off (he's removed the engine,
>bumpers, front wings, seats and interior trim from the Californian Midget).
>I want to convert it to right hand drive and put the UK Midget engine into
>it. However I would like to know prior to starting any important things I
>should check (I realise that is a pretty vague question) and how do I
>convert left hand drive to right ?
>
>Any pointers or advice etc will most gratefully received.
>
>Mike Curtis-Rouse
>
>Cornwall, UK
>
>'73 Green MK III Midget
>'74 White MK III Midget