Free time

To: "Spridgets (E-mail)" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Free time
From: Adrian Barnes <adrian@workgroup.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 13:42:24 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
At last it looks as if I'll be getting some free time over the next couple
of weeks and will finally get to go back and look at my projects.  But first
I have to clean the garage up...!

The engine is pretty much reassembled and put back in place on the free car
(check the archives or look at my midget site if you aren't familiar with
that project), but I still have a few wrinkles to iron out.  One, I found an
odd white with red stripe wire attached to a broken-off terminal hanging
loose near the solenoid.  Hooked the battery up and it won't attempt to turn
over.  Somebody told me that wire is to ignition.  Did it break off the
solenoid?  I couldn't see any visible signs of a missing/broken terminal on
the solenoid.

I am also going to experiment with an electric fan.  I got the Imperial one
from Autozone.  It's mounted to the radiator and in place, but not wired in.
I have to figure out exactly how to wire it in and hook up its thermostat,
but I'm assuming that won't be too bad.  I am not going to put in a new fan
clutch...partly because I couldn't get the old one off, partly because I
didn't feel like spending $100 on a new one, and partly because I want to
try the car without one.

The weird thing about the two cooling systems I have (for the 1500) is that
they are both different.  Regardless, I have a matching thermostat housing
and radiator in the car, but for some reason the thermostat housing won't
mount flush with the waterpump housing.  The bolts get tight, but they just
don't mount up right and water leaks out.  That hopefully won't be major.  I
have the poor car up on jackstands in my driveway so that fluids don't leak
out various holes.  I'm sure the neighbors love that, but the car seems to
be serving as a landmark (people ask me..."do you live on such-and-such
road? I saw an MG in a driveway over there...").

The purple car still sits and begs for attention.  Maybe I'll give it a
little.  If I could only get those darn windows back in properly...  :-)  (I
can hear you now, Ed...)  It's funny how the Midget bug always bites me this
time of year...

Back to work,
adrian

J. Adrian Barnes, MCP