Re: Another ignotion prob - won't go away

To: cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Another ignotion prob - won't go away
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 10:50:42 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 12/26/99 11:42:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< Now that I'm back, I had a chance to charge the battery on the Midget. Now
 it cranks a hell of a lot faster, but still won't start.  And I'm still
 getting the loud backfiring through the tailpipe.  Checked the grounding
 strap, and it was connected well, but covered with oil.  Cleaned off the
 oil.  Still making good connections at the battery terminals. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If you are getting backfiring from the tailpipe, it doen't sound like an
electrical problem with the battery.  If your ignition timing is way out of
whack, it will do this, or it could be really bad valves.  (If it was running
fine and now isn't, I would suspect ignition timing, or the timing chain
could have jumped if it is REALLY loose.)

Do a static ignition timing of the distributor to put it in the approximate
correct location and then try to start.  Your manual should have directions
for this under the section on remove and replace distributor.  (It's easier
to figure out with a point set instead of electronic.)

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport