Re: MG Jack

To: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MG Jack
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 22:15:45 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi, Vincent --
My '73 came with the ratchet-handle jack, I still have the jack and I prefer
to keep it with the car so it's not for sale, but I don't use it to jack the
car.
It didn't take me long to realize it is not a very practical jack and I
found a better one in a junkyard.   The "swing" of the ratchet-handle is
restricted by the car itself.  I got tired of banging the handle first into
the A-post and then into the driver's door while jacking the car.
The jack I found has a rod that fits into the jack hole of the Midget, but
the handle that raises and lowers it rotates in a vertical plane, parallel
to the door.    Using it is like cranking a window winder handle.  I'm not
sure, but the jack may have come from a VW (it doesn't have any markings on
it).   If you can find something like that, it's much better as working
tool.

Good luck --

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool
than to speak, and remove all doubt"  -- Mark Twain