Re: Gear Lever Surround Color on Sprite HAN7 and Midget GAN2

To: "Doug Ingram" <dougi@home.com>
Subject: Re: Gear Lever Surround Color on Sprite HAN7 and Midget GAN2
From: "Wiedemeyer" <boxweed@thebest.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 17:32:13 -0500
Cc: "spridgets list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Doug,

I brought this up to the list during the summer also.  (It may be in the
archives.)  I "specialize" in the 1963 Spridgets and have no less than 12 of
them sitting in my workshop/warehouse.  All of them were original,
unmodified cars when I got them.  The 3 light blue ones with darker blue
interior all have a dark blue gearshift surround to match the interior, and
each of them is the same shade of blue.  The 2 red ones with black interior
have black surrounds.  The BRG one with black interior has a black surround.
The 3 black ones with red interior all have a red surround, again, with the
exact same shade of red, which would indicate a factory applied paint.  The
2 white ones with red interior, one of which is a pristine, 28,000 original
miles car, both have red surrounds.  I feel as you do that in '63, along
with adding more stuff to the interior to cover up more of the metal, they
also had to paint the gearshift surround to match the interior, or it would
look out of place.

Bob